Is My Computer A Part of A Botnet?

Labels:

1. My PC is a Zombie!

Define Botnet:

Botnet is a jargon term for a collection of software robots, or bots, that run autonomously and automatically. The term is often associated with malicious software but it can also refer to the network of computers using distributed computing software.

While the term "botnet" can be used to refer to any group of bots, such as IRC bots, this word is generally used to refer to a collection of compromised computers (called Zombie computers) running software, usually installed via worms, Trojan horses, or backdoors, under a common command-and-control infrastructure.

[Continue reading from Wikipedia]

 

Recently, I have been complaining my computer slow like an undead snail. And I’m pretty sure you guys notice that as well. I blaim Streamyx all this time. But, why I’m the only one experiencing this while my friends are able to have a Damn-good Streamyx internet connection. Today, I read about this article from ReadWriteWeb. The article’s title is:

 

Is Your PC Part of a Botnet?

 

Some extractions from the article;

So how can you tell if you're machine is part of a botnet and what can you do about it?

Statistically, Macs are safe from botnets, although not completely immune to all threats as we noted here. But if you have a Windows based machine, Prevx suggests you stay on the lookout for an Internet connection that seems inexplicably slow when you are online as it may be that a botnet infection is using your connection to send or receive data.

"If this happens, stop surfing, close your email software (e.g. Outlook) and try and open Task Manager by pressing the CTRL, ALT and Delete keys at the same time then selecting Task Manager," the company wrote on its blog recently. "When Task manager opens click on the Network tab and see if your PC is using the internet network connection, if it shows more than a few percent usage then this could be further evidence of something using your internet connection without your knowledge."

[Read more from “Is Your PC Part of a Botnet?”]

 

(don’t sue me from extracting from your site, I’m helping people to educate themselves. I will write if I already got that knowledge but if I just put a link there, people are lazy to click it---99% sure---because I’m of them.)

 

After I read the article, I felt there’s not the problem. And this partly-conclude Streamyx is still the main foe.

 

WATCH THIS INTERACTIVE VIDEO ABOUT BOTNET FROM SYMANTEC

 

2. 'Star Wars' scientists create laser gun to kill mosquitoes

Scientists in the U.S. are developing a laser gun that could kill millions of mosquitoes in minutes in London, England.

The laser, which has been dubbed a "weapon of mosquito destruction" fires at mosquitoes once it detects the audio frequency created by the beating of its wings.

[Continue reading from CNN]

3. Readability

Readability is a simple tool that makes reading on the Web more enjoyable by removing the clutter around what you’re reading.

[Readability]

readability1 readability2





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment